Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Feel Lucky List


Well, today I got up feeling a bit sorry for myself. My back was hurting and I did not get a good night’s sleep. So, instead of my usual smile I greeted my mom with a frown when she got me a nice hot cup of tea. Fortunately, as I was sipping the tea, I realized how ungrateful I was being. Not only was I ignoring my mom’s sweet gesture, but in general I had no real reason to frown. Life could not be more kind to me than it is at the present moment and I was letting a slight backache come in the way of my appreciating this fact.
Sometimes I think we are so focused on the little things which are not going our way,that we fail to appreciate all the things which are! 
So here is a ready reference list for all the times when I feel like creasing my forehead with a frown instead of smiling. Here is my list of all the things which were given to me unasked,which I take for granted, and should not, this is my “Feel Lucky List”

1.     I am perfectly formed: I do not mean my size or shape or height or weight, whether that is perfect is debatable. What I mean is that I have no physical impairment. I have two legs to take me where I wish and when I wish, two hands do the work I want to do, a perfectly functional pair of eyes with which to see the world, ears to enjoy the sounds of my surroundings, all sensory organs doing their job well.  How lucky is that!
2.     I am surrounded by family and friends whom I love and who love me:  I have been blessed with wonderful people in my life,people who make my life special and give me unconditional love. I am sure there are many people who find themselves all alone especially when life deals them a tough hand. But, I have all these awesome people who have been with me to share all the ups and downs in my life and give me the confidence to keep moving when that was all that was needed.
3.     I have all my basic needs fulfilled and more: I do not have to worry about where my next meal is coming from, whether I will have a bed to sleep in tonight or a roof over my head. In fact, I take these things for granted. But, just a walk down the road in a city like Mumbai should make me realize that for many all these worries are part of their daily life. So, I acknowledge today that I am grateful that I do not have all these worries.
4.     I am educated: There are many people in this country who have not been given the opportunity to get introduced to the basic alphabet, forget getting the chance of acquiring a professional qualification. I took this right to education as my right and sometimes as a kid wished that there was no such thing as schools, but today I realize how lucky I am. Education has allowed me to experience beautiful things in life, to earn a living, to share my thoughts and so much more!
5.     I have been gifted this life: The gift of life is something I have been bestowed with, to cherish, to treasure, to experience and savor, to just live to the fullest. I intend to make the most of it and I rather do it with a smile on my lips!



No comments:

Post a Comment