Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Morning Revelation!


Today I woke up at six am, quite early by my standard. As I peeped out sleepily from my bedroom window, for the first time in many years, I got a chance to observe the world outside at this time of the day. I was amazed that so many people were awake. Further, what I was seeing was the fag end of their morning routine, their day surely had begun much earlier. Our night watchman had almost finished washing all the cars in our apartment’s parking lot. The milkman was busy stacking empty crates for the milk van to pick up later in the day. He had finished his daily delivery of the milk pouches to each apartment door.  The Newspaper delivery boy was also arranging the undelivered papers on his cycle to be taken back. As I observed them, immersed in their tasks, I suddenly became conscious of the fact that for the past twenty five years the same milkman and the same newspaper vendor have been delivering the milk and the newspaper to my doorstep. What I was observing today has been their routine for so long.

Before today, I had not really spared a thought for these people. They ensured; that I get to sip my morning cuppa in the company of the crisp pages of newspaper; that I step into a gleaming and clean car every time I drove out. In fact, I had given them thought only when this routine had been disturbed. I had complained, when after groggily opening the door, the milk pouch was not there or the newspaper was delivered late. I expected their service to be on time, every time; braving the vagaries of the weather, their personal problems; that they were as human as I was. Unfortunately I gave them thought only when they failed to deliver. So I am grateful for “today morning” for the realization of how these unseen, unacknowledged foot soldiers work daily and make my life comfortable. I am sure that the next time the newspaper arrives late on my door step, I will not be complaining.

And  maybe, I should get up early every day!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashwini, nice blog. And I do find the same is true for many of us.We take a lot of people for granted in our daily lives and only criticize or crib when they are late or not able to deliver etc..
    We have a lot of people to be thankful for and if we do thank them, they too feel good about themselves :) and makes us appreciate our "smooth" life more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nandita, great to see you here again. Hope that acknowledging the contribution of the many people who make our life wonderful and comfortable at least in our minds, it will be a great start :) and improve our interactions with them :)

      Delete